75% of garage door accidents involved two types of injuries:
- Doors falling on people
- Body parts getting caught in a door panel.
So to keep your family, pets, car, and home safe from hazards, follow the garage door safety tips below:
- Make sure that garage door remote controls are out of the reach of children.
- If the garage door is moving, do not stand in or walk through its path. Set a good example for your children in this regard.
- Inspect your door and fittings monthly for parts that may be broken or worn.
- When opening the door, avoid placing your fingers in between the door’s joints.
- Learn how to operate the door’s emergency release feature and make sure that it is close by at all times.
- If the garage door opener does not reverse when an object interrupts its sensor path, have this repaired by a technician immediately. Children could easily be trapped and seriously harmed by malfunctioning doors.
- If you keep your door opener remote control in your car, never leave any connecting door between the garage and your home unlocked. Thieves or home invaders could steal your remote from the car and access your house through the garage.